Tuesday 22 December 2015

Pre-Travelling Nerves


So the nerves have officially started to kick in... In just under a week I'll be 3 hours away from landing in Hong Kong and ready to begin my 3 month journey around South East Asia. Our first stop? New Year in Hong Kong.

I can't imagine we'll be doing much that first night other than crashing straight out in our beds after what will be an exhausting 17 hour flight from Manchester. But I already can't wait to see what Hong Kong has to offer, firstly in the way of bars and street food seeing as it will be New Year after all. We've not really got an idea of where to go on New Years Eve yet, but we've pretty much just planned to go with the flow and head down to the river/skyline stopping at a few bars along the way (obviously).

But I'm not going to lie, even though I'm stupidly excited for the next 3 months, I'm also bloody terrified. I've never done anything like this before so it's going to be a shock and an experience to say the least. I think my biggest worries are:

1. Will I like it?!
I know there's going to be thousands of other backpackers in the same situation as us trecking around looking for places to stay and people to meet, but I can't help but worry that I'm not going to like the whole hostel/living out of a backpack thing. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm usually quite a girly girl who loves spending a good 40 minutes deciding on an outfit and straightening my hair. But I guess that's all just going to have to go out of the window and the hair situation? Well, Kerastraight has pretty much saved my life.

2. How do I get around?
I'd say this is the second biggest nervy thought for me, as back home I rely on my car so so much. We've decided that we're mainly going to get around the countries by land, so trains/buses/boats etc. We're going with the locals. But how do you book them? Where do you go to get on them? Ahhh it's all so overwhelming, especially speaking in a foreign language and with a huge backpack taking everyone around me out! Guess we'll just find out there.

3. What if my stuff gets stolen?
Now for this one I think I can speak on many peoples behalf's and say: Biggest. Worry. Ever. What a flipping nightmare if anything gets nicked. I know loads of people (*adults*) say 'don't take your iPhone' but come on, this is 2015. Do us young ones go anywhere without our iPhones these days? Sorry mum but I need to FaceTime and access social media. The phone's coming with me whether it gets nicked or not.

4. How do I deal with the money situation?
I put a status about this on Facebook recently and received some pretty helpful advice and information. I wasn't (and I'm still not) 100% sure on how to withdraw my money over there and if I'll be charged etc etc etc. But after hearing a few peoples stories and advice I've decided to go with the CaxtonFX pre-paid master card. You just put money on it from your bank account as and when you need it, and you can also download an app to go with it to make life even easier. Sounds pretty good to me. I just hope it doesn't get nicked and I don't get charged a fortune every time I use it! Or run out of money...

To be honest, I've found that looking at other people's blogs who are or who have experienced travelling has really helped me. There's so much advice on them that I wouldn't have even thought about getting/looking into. For example, packing cubes - genius. They also give amazing advice on how to actually pack your backpack, which is perfect for me and anyone like me, who would take their whole bedroom if they could. Anyway, below are a couple of my faves:

. Travel Fashion Girl - http://travelfashiongirl.com/
. Blonde Chick Travels - http://www.blondechicktravels.com

Only 6 days to go! Ahhhhhhh...



SHARE:

No comments

© She Who Does. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig